Guide to avoiding back pain while on vacation
Most people look forward to vacations as a chance to get away from it all. Vacations are an opportunity to leave the stress of our everyday lives behind and enjoy our favorite activities, see new places or visit friends and family. Vacations also usually represent a significant investment of our free time and money, which means we want to make sure we get the most out of them.
However, if you are suffering from back pain, the fun and excitement of vacationing can be quickly diminished with the sudden pain of a spine condition. Flare-ups from conditions like bone spurs, sciatica or herniated discs can ruin even the most enjoyable activities. In the event that back pain makes an appearance on your vacation, it doesn’t have to ruin your chance of having a great time. Through the following article, you can learn about many things you can do to help prevent back pain on vacation.
How to have fun on the way to your destination
For lots of vacationers, part of the thrill of getting away lies in the actual travel to the destination. For those who have back pain, though, the idea of traveling in cramped airplanes, trains and cars sounds like anything but fun. Here are some tips to help minimize back pain while traveling:
- Pack lightly and avoid moving luggage whenever possible. Use rolling luggage to minimize strain. Ask skycaps, taxi drivers and your travel companion(s) to help do the heavy lifting.
- If traveling by commercial transport, ask to be seated in spaces with extra legroom. If possible, upgrade your seating class to one with more comfortable seats and more space.
- If traveling by car, make frequent rest stops, and try to avoid driving for too long of a time. Consider breaking your trip into smaller chunks so that you can have more time to recuperate between car rides. Share the driving responsibilities with a partner and use cruise control if you can.
- Use cushioning devices to increase back support while seated.
- Walk and stretch as much as you can during the trip.
Enjoying your destination
Once you’ve arrived at your destination, continue to protect your back by following these tips:
- If you are staying in a hotel, call ahead to find out what type of mattresses are in the rooms. Ask if it’s possible to get a more supportive mattress.
- Alternate days of activity and rest to avoid overtaxing your back.
- Participate in activities that can help maintain back health. Swimming, walking and yoga are some activities that may be available at your vacation destination and have benefits associated with alleviating back pain.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Get a good night’s rest every night.
If you follow these guidelines, you may be able to prevent neck and back pain from keeping you from enjoying your vacation. However, these are only temporary fixes, and will not fully treat your chronic neck and back pain. If your neck or back pain is preventing you from living the life you enjoy, contact Laser Spine Institute and ask about our minimally invasive spine surgery.
At Laser Spine Institute, we have helped more than 75,000 patients find lasting relief from their chronic conditions and we look forward to helping you get started on your journey to wellness. For information about the minimally invasive procedures that can help you find permanent relief from neck or back pain, reach out to our dedicated team today. Through a free MRI review,* we can help you determine if you are a potential candidate for our outpatient surgery.