Nonsurgical treatments that an orthopedic doctor may recommend
If you’re a patient in the Tampa Bay area seeking out an orthopedic doctor, you may be wondering about the prospect of surgery. Upon diagnosing spine conditions, most doctors will typically first prescribe a series of nonsurgical treatments. Spinal surgery is usually only recommended in instances where several weeks or months of nonsurgical treatment have been unable to deliver the lasting pain relief you require for a good quality of life. By working closely with your doctor, there is a good chance that you’ll be able to avoid a surgical approach altogether.
Treatment options vary from patient to patient
One thing to understand about nonsurgical treatments for neck and back pain is that what works for one person might not necessarily work in your unique situation. Depending on your overall health, the underlying cause of symptoms, the location of the issue and other considerations, you might require a different treatment plan than someone else. What’s more, you never want to self-diagnose or try new treatments without the consent of an orthopedic doctor or other qualified medical professional. This is because the wrong approach may prove entirely ineffective or could even make your symptoms worse.
Here are some examples of the conservative treatments that an orthopedic doctor may recommend you explore before surgery becomes a serious consideration:
- Medication. The use of over-the-counter or prescription pain relievers, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or muscle relaxers. Many patients also receive spinal injections to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Low-impact exercise. Walking, swimming and other similar types of exercise
- Stretching techniques. Regular yoga, Pilates and other similar exercises designed to relax and stretch the body, which can help relieve pressure in the spine.
- Hot/cold therapy. The use of heating pads or ice packs might be recommended depending on the source of the problem.
- Lifestyle adjustments. Eating a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, limiting alcohol consumption and quitting smoking all might be encouraged.
Minimally invasive spine surgery at Laser Spine Institute
If you and your orthopedic doctor have decided that conservative treatments have been exhausted and you are recommended for surgery, reach out to the caring and dedicated team at Laser Spine Institute as you explore your surgical options. Our minimally invasive spine surgery is performed on an outpatient basis using muscle-sparing techniques, making it a safer and effective alternative to traditional open spine surgery.^
We are happy to offer a no-cost MRI review* to determine if you are a potential candidate for one of our procedures.