What conditions does a back surgeon treat?
If you are a person in the Orlando area who is dealing with back pain related to a spine condition, you may be seeking a back surgeon if you have exhausted conservative treatments. A number of degenerative spine conditions can develop that can cause chronic back pain. As we age, the parts of the spine naturally begin to break down due to years of wear and tear. This phenomenon happens all along the spinal column, but is particularly common in the lumbar (lower) spine. The lower back must support a significant percentage of the body weight and must also be able to provide the flexibility needed for daily movement. This is why lower back pain is so common in older individuals.
Types of degenerative spine conditions
There is a difference between having some back pain and experiencing chronic symptoms that might lead you to a back surgeon, however. When deterioration in the spine advances to the point that the spinal cord or any of the nearby spinal nerves become compressed or irritated, you may require treatment. While methods like physical therapy, medication or spinal injections work for many people, they don’t work for everyone.
Spine surgery may be recommended for the following conditions if symptoms don’t respond to conservative treatments:
- Degenerative disc disease. The natural deterioration of one or more of the intervertebral discs that cushion and support the spine.
- Facet disease. The onset of arthritic deterioration of the vertebral facet joints in the spine, which are responsible for connecting adjacent vertebrae; this condition often leads to the formation of bone spurs as well.
- Spondylolisthesis. A condition that describes the misalignment of a vertebra as it relates to the spinal column as a whole.
- Spinal stenosis. The narrowing of the spinal canal as a result of the presence of displaced or overgrown tissue, such as herniated disc material or bone spurs.
Minimally invasive spine surgery at Laser Spine Institute
If you are exploring surgery for a degenerative spine condition in the Orlando area, we encourage you to learn more about minimally invasive spine surgery here at Laser Spine Institute.
Our board-certified surgeons+ have helped more than 75,000 patients find relief from neck or back pain since 2005. When traveling from the Orlando area for treatment at our center in Tampa, patients can enjoy the following streamlined experience:
- Complete clinical evaluation
- State-of-the-art imaging
- Diagnostic testing
- Surgery and postoperative assessment
Contact us today for your no-cost MRI review* to see if you are a candidate for minimally invasive spine surgery at Laser Spine Institute.