More information about spondylolisthesis
Spondylolisthesis is a spine condition involving forward movement, or slippage, of the vertebrae. While this condition does not necessarily cause symptoms, they can develop if a nerve is pinched by the vertebra sliding out of place. There are a number of underlying causes of spondylolisthesis, but two of the most frequent are stress fractures and age-related degeneration. In rarer cases, birth defects, traumatic injury, infection or bone disease can cause the slippage.
The most commonly diagnosed type of this condition is called isthmic spondylolisthesis. It is usually caused by a stress fracture on a very small bone in the spinal joints. When this break occurs, very often on younger people experiencing rapid growth, it makes it very easy for the connected vertebra to gradually slip forward out of the spinal column.
Degenerative — or age-related — spondylolisthesis is commonly found in older adults who have been diagnosed with other degenerative spine conditions, like spinal arthritis or stenosis. A degenerative spine condition develops due to the natural aging process of the spine. Wear from everyday activities makes the parts of the spine wear out over time. Discs shrink, ligaments harden and the cartilage on joints wears out. This creates the unstable conditions that allow a vertebra to slip forward out of place.
During the development of spondylolisthesis, the movement of a vertebra can interfere with nerves in the spinal canal, causing painful symptoms like lower back pain, muscle spasms and stiffness in the lower body.
As you continue to research spondylolisthesis, we encourage you to use our extensive library of articles about the condition and the treatment options available to you:
- Three Reasons To Treat Spondylolisthesis Symptoms
- Do You Need Surgery for Grade 2 Spondylolisthesis?
- How Do You Treat Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis?
- Is Yoga Used as a Spondylolisthesis Treatment?
- Causes of Spondylolisthesis
- Symptoms of Spondylolisthesis
- Non-surgical Treatment for Spondylolisthesis
- Surgical Treatment Spondylolisthesis
- Types of Spondylolisthesis
- When Do You Need to Have Spondylolisthesis Surgery
- Can Weight Loss Help for Spondylolisthesis?
- Spondylolisthesis Grades
- Signs of Spondylolisthesis You Must Not Ignore
- 5 Spondylolisthesis Surgery Alternatives
- 6 Quick Tips Before Your Spondylolisthesis Treatment
- 10 Tips to Prevent Spondylolisthesis
- 10 Questions to Ask Before Spondylolisthesis Surgery
- What to Expect From Spondylolisthesis Treatment
- A Complete Guide to Spondylolisthesis
- 5 Indications That You Might Need Spondylolisthesis Surgery
- 10 Questions to Ask Before Beginning Spondylolisthesis Treatment
- Three Common Misconceptions About Spondylolisthesis
- A Complete Guide To Spondylolisthesis Surgery
- Three Common Spondylolisthesis Treatments
- Spondylolisthesis Types Categorized by Cause and Severity
- Spondylolisthesis in Adults and Children
- When To Call A Doctor For A Spondylolisthesis
- How To Avoid Spondylolisthesis Surgery
- Three Alternative Spondylolisthesis Treatments
- Four Common Causes Of Spondylolisthesis
- Three Stretches To Try For Spondylolisthesis Treatment
- What Should You Do If You Think You Have Spondylolisthesis
- Can Swimming Be Used For Spondylolisthesis Treatment?
- Read to Learn if Spondylolisthesis Can Cause Paralysis
- Learn When Spondylolisthesis Surgery Is the Best Option
- Read to Learn Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis Treatment Options
- Three Ways To Minimize Spondylolisthesis Pain
- Two Uncommon Spondylolisthesis Treatments
- Avoid These Five Exercises With Spondylolisthesis
- Three Exercises to Do After Surgery for Spondylolisthesis
- Ten Common Nonsurgical Treatment Options for Spondylolisthesis
- Three Common Spondylolisthesis Questions Answered
- Five Tips for Traveling After Spondylolisthesis Surgery
- Three Myths About Spondylolisthesis Treatment
- Grading Spondylolisthesis: What is the Difference Between Grade 1 and Grade 5?
- Am I a Candidate for Spondylolisthesis Surgery?
- Four Questions to Ask About Your Spondylolisthesis Diagnosis
- Supplementing Your Spondylolisthesis Treatment with Acupuncture — Everything You Need to Know
- Three Changes That People Can Face After Spondylolisthesis Surgery
- Four Anti-Inflammatory Treatment Options for Spondylolisthesis
- Considering Acupuncture for Spondylolisthesis Treatment
- Is Spondylolisthesis the Same as a Slipped Disc?