Easing spondylitis pain at the office — five tips for relief
Spondylitis is the umbrella term that physicians use to describe the spine conditions that cause pain and inflammation in the spine’s vertebrae and facet joints, which are the joints in the spine. If left untreated, spondylitis can progress to cause severe pain and inflammation, limited range of motion and difficulty breathing, in severe cases.
Working with spondylitis
Being diagnosed with spondylitis may often seem scary, and will likely leave you wondering how you can continue your daily activities as normally as possible. The first step is to consult with your physician regarding which methods of treatment will most effectively combat your symptoms. One specific concern many patients with this condition have is how they can continue working without spondylitis negatively impacting their day. Here are five things you can do to help manage your spondylitis pain while at the office:
- Inform your boss or supervisor of your condition and any necessary modifications you need to make to your workday easier.
- Keep your medication at work with you so that you can stay on your prescribed dosage schedule.
- Take frequent short breaks throughout the day.
- Practice good posture while sitting at your desk.
- Ensure that your spine is properly supported. This may include investing in a new chair for your desk or using pillows.
Learning about spondylitis treatment
Ask your physician about any other individualized tips to help minimize your spondylitis pain while at work. For many patients, spondylitis can be managed successfully through the use of nonsurgical treatments, but surgery may be an appropriate option for some. Laser Spine Institute does not treat spondylitis, however, our team will be happy to help find appropriate treatment options for adults with spondylitis. If you have questions regarding your spondylitis diagnosis or the treatment that is available to you, contact Laser Spine Institute today.