More information about spondylitis
Spondylitis is a spine condition that causes inflammation in the joints, including those in the spine. One form of this condition, called ankylosing spondylitis, can cause the vertebrae of the spine to fuse together, completely limiting mobility of the spine. Spondylitis is often painful and can progress more rapidly than most spine conditions.
While the cause of spondylitis is unknown, researchers have found a correlation between the gene HLA-B27 and patients who develop spondylitis. In fact, most patients with spondylitis are found to have the HLA-B27 gene, though not all spondylitis patients possess it. Though there is no known cause for spondylitis, there are a few risk factors to consider for the development of this condition:
- Genetics. Genetics play the largest role in determining who develops spondylitis. If an immediate family member has spondylitis, you may also be at risk for developing the condition.
- Age. Spondylitis generally develops in teenagers and young adults in their 20s.
- Gender. Spondylitis often affects men more than women.
Spondylitis resources library
As you continue to research this spine condition, we encourage you to reach out to a member of our caring and dedicated team with any questions or concerns. We also have a large collection of articles to help you better understand this condition and the treatments available to you.
- Genetics — Genetics play the largest role in determining who develops spondylitis. If an immediate family member has spondylitis, you may also be at risk for developing the condition.
- Age — Spondylitis generally develops in teenagers and young adults in their twenties.
- Gender — Spondylitis often affects men more than women.
The most important risk factor to remember is genetics. While age and gender may play a small role, we can safely assume that a vast majority of teenage boys will not develop this rare spine condition. However, a teenage boy with a parent who has spondylitis is more at risk to develop spondylitis as well.
As you continue to research this spine condition, we encourage you to reach out to a Spine Care Consultant with any questions or concerns. We can help you find conservative treatment options for your pain and support groups who understand the burden of living with spondylitis. We are here to walk you through every step of this journey to find pain relief.
- Two Common Causes of Spondylitis
- Is Spondylitis Considered a Disability?
- Five Tips for Sitting at a Desk If You Have Spondylitis
- Eight Tips for Living with Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Nine Warning Signs of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Is Ankylosing Spondylitis an Autoimmune Disease?
- Foam Vs. Spring Mattress When You Have Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Can Ankylosing Spondylitis Be Treated With Acupuncture?
- What Are the Different Types of Spondylitis?
- Four Tips for Sleeping with Spondylitis
- Three Yoga Poses to Help Relieve Spondylitis Pain
- Is Ankylosing Spondylitis a Progressive Disease?
- What Is the Most Common Type of Spondylitis?
- Five Nonsurgical Treatments Options for Spondylitis
- Three Types of Surgery for Spondylitis
- Five Tips for Finding the Right Ankylosing Spondylitis Specialist
- What Are Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment Options During Pregnancy?
- What Is the Expected Recovery Time for Spondylitis Surgery?
- What Is the Meaning of Cervical Spondylitis?
- Can Biologics Be Used to Treat Spondylitis?
- What Are the Side Effects of Spondylitis Surgery?
- Can Eating a Low Starch Diet Help with Spondylitis?
- Is There Any Treatment to Stop the Progression of Ankylosing Spondylitis?
- Are There Any Surgery Options for Ankylosing Spondylitis?
- How Common Is Ankylosing Spondylitis?
- Spondylitis Treatments vs Spondylitis Surgery — Which Do You need?
- Ten Ways to Ease Spondylitis Pain
- Exercises That Could Make my Spondylitis Treatment More Effective
- Dangers of Not Treating Spondylitis
- When Do You Need Spondylitis Treatment?
- 7 Tips To Ease Spondylitis Pain During Long Car Rides
- Spondylitis Treatment Alternatives
- Indications of Spondylitis You Must Not Ignore
- 10 Questions to Ask Before Spondylitis Treatment
- Five Spondylitis Surgery Alternatives
- What to Expect from an Ankylosing Spondylitis Prognosis
- Five Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment Options
- Four Exercises To Do During Your Spondylitis Surgery Recovery
- Five Common Misconceptions About Spondylitis
- Three Signs You Need Spondylitis Surgery
- What To Do If You Have Spondylitis
- Five Signs You Need To Start Spondylitis Treatment
- Types Of Spondylitis Surgery
- Conservative And Surgical Spondylitis Treatment Options
- Four Facts About Ankylosing Spondylitis
- When Should I Consider Spondylitis Surgery?
- Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment Guidelines
- Learn How To Recognize The Warning Signs Of Spondylitis
- Learn About Exercises For Spondylitis Treatment
- The Differences in Ankylosing Spondylitis in Women Vs Men
- Treatment Options for Cervical and Lumbar Spondylitis
- Three Tips For Traveling With Spondylitis
- Ten Questions To Ask Your Doctor Before Spondylitis Surgery
- Three Common Spondylitis Treatments
- Avoid These Five Exercises if Suffering From Spondylitis
- Three Spondylitis Treatment Myths
- Five Tips to Ease Spondylitis Pain at the Office
- Three Water Exercises for Spondylitis Treatment
- What Can You Expect from Spondylitis Surgery?
- What Causes Spondylitis? Information Provided by Laser Spine Institute
- Home Remedies for Spondylitis Treatment
- Be Sure to Discuss These Three Questions with Your Physician Before Seeking Surgery for Spondylitis
- Who Needs Spondylitis Surgery?
- Four Questions You Should Ask Your Physician If You Have Spondylitis
- Three Exercises to Incorporate Into Your Spondylitis Treatment
- Spondylitis Can Cause Different Types of Discomfort — Here are Five Unusual Symptoms
- Ankylosing Spondylitis Surgery — Five Tips to Aid Your Recovery
- Doctors Who Can Diagnose and Treat Ankylosing Spondylitis
- When to Consider Ankylosing Spondylitis Surgery
- Natural Remedies for Spondylitis Treatment
- What Kind of Doctor Do I See for Sciatica Surgery?
- Who Is at Risk for Spondylitis?
- What Are Spondylitis Complications?
- How Is Spondylitis Diagnosed?
- Six Common Symptoms of Spondylitis
Laser Spine Institute
Although Laser Spine Institute does not provide minimally invasive spine surgery for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis, our caring team can help you learn more about this condition and the conservative treatments available. Contact us today.