What essential oil is good for spinal stenosis?
Spinal stenosis (narrowing) is a common source of neck and back pain. In some cases, the discomfort is mild and tolerable, but in others, it is excruciating and debilitating. The optimal treatment approach will depend on the intensity of the pain and the patient’s ability to tolerate it. While over-the-counter and prescription pain relievers and anti-inflammatories can be effective for spinal stenosis pain, some people understandably prefer to avoid taking medication unless it is truly necessary — and sometimes, it isn’t.
Nonpharmacological treatment is often effective for alleviating neck and back pain. For this reason, many physicians advise their patients to start out with some simple home remedies, such as stretching, exercising and applying a heating pad or ice pack. Some people also achieve good results with essential oils.
How can aromatherapy alleviate pain?
Aromatherapy cannot address spinal stenosis directly, but it can potentially enhance a patient’s comfort in other ways. For instance, anxiety and insomnia are known to contribute to pain. Some essential oils can reduce stress and promote rest by inspiring a sense of calmness and tranquility. Additionally, certain essential oils can help relieve headache pain, which some people experience along with neck or back pain.
Some essential oils that may be helpful for alleviating spinal stenosis pain include:
- Eucalyptus. Often used with massage therapy for muscle aches, eucalyptus has strong anti-inflammatory properties that make it a good choice for relieving neck or back pain.
- Peppermint. A refreshing scent that has both analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, peppermint can help alleviate headaches, nausea and stress associated with chronic pain.
- Lavender. A multi-use oil with anti-inflammatory properties, lavender calms nerves, reduce stress and counteract insomnia.
- Frankincense. With its relaxing properties and soothing aroma, frankincense can ease tension and promote pain relief.
- Sweet ginger. Known for its treatment of nausea, sweet ginger has a warming quality that can penetrate sore muscles and soothe body aches.
- Marjoram. The antispasmodic properties of marjoram make it a good option for relieving neck or back pain. As a natural pain reliever, it works well for relaxing taut muscles without producing unwanted side effects.
Where to turn for help with severe spinal stenosis symptoms
If you’re considering surgery to address severe spinal stenosis symptoms, contact Laser Spine Institute. We can provide a free MRI review* to help you determine if you are a candidate for our minimally invasive outpatient surgery.