Spinal stenosis — guidelines for a healthy recovery
If you have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis and you are considering undergoing minimally invasive spine surgery to treat your condition, you should research what to expect during the postoperative recovery period.
One of the many advantages of our minimally invasive spine surgery is that our patients experience a shorter recovery time§ compared to traditional open back surgery and open back fusion. Our care team is here to guide you through the recovery process and help you through any questions you have during your healing period.
What to expect during postoperative recovery
One of the most important things to remember after your minimally invasive spine surgery is to take everything slowly. If you feel pain-free and back to normal, you might be tempted to get back to your daily activities. Remember that your body just underwent surgery and you need to allow yourself proper time to heal before beginning a daily routine without restrictions.
Follow these guidelines to promote a safe and healthy recovery period after your minimally invasive surgery:
- Follow the surgeon’s instructions for postoperative care as outlined in your postoperative folder
- Inform your physician or our care team if previously existing symptoms return or worsen
- Inform your physician or our care team if new symptoms arise
- Schedule a postoperative appointment with your physician two weeks after your surgery to check the wound and undress the bandage.
- Take all pain medication as prescribed. Call our care team if you are unsure of the directions for one of your prescriptions.
- Do not drive for the first 48 hours following your surgery. Some surgical procedures require you to wait two weeks before driving.
- Avoid sitting in one position for long periods of time. Be sure to get up and slowly move around to avoid muscle stiffness.
A detailed outline of what to expect during your postoperative recovery period will be discussed with you before you are discharged from our care. Your Care Partner will also receive the care instructions to ensure that you are healing properly and efficiently. If you have any questions during your recovery, please contact your SPINE LINE for help. Our team is here to guide you through the steps to recapturing your life. If you are not yet a patient of Laser Spine Institute and are wondering if you are a candidate for our minimally invasive, outpatient procedures, contact us today.