Things to avoid after spinal bone spurs surgery
Successful recovery after outpatient surgery at Laser Spine Institute for the treatment of spinal bone spurs is contingent on a patient closely following the instructions that are given by our medical team. Specifically, there are some activities and other situations to avoid to help give yourself the best possible chance to fully heal and overcome your chronic symptoms.
While recovery guidelines can vary slightly depending on the specific patient, the condition and other pertinent variables, patients can expect to be instructed to take it easy for the first few weeks before slowly beginning a carefully regimented exercise routine. To learn more about helpful spinal bone spur recovery tips and our minimally invasive surgery, read the information outlined in the following article.
Some helpful spinal bone spur tips
While your Laser Spine Institute Care Team will be able to answer your specific questions about activities in your life that you should limit or avoid, here are some general tips that we give our patients for the weeks that follow a bone spur procedure:
- Don’t allow your surgical dressing to get wet for the first two weeks after surgery; you can certainly shower but don’t soak in a tub or use a pool for the first two weeks following surgery
- Avoid engaging in an activity or exercise that hurts
- Don’t drive for the first 48 hours or while taking pain medications and/or muscle relaxants
- Abstain from sexual activity for the first two weeks unless you are a passive partner
- Avoid activities that apply weight to the spine like lifting, bending, carrying and twisting for the first six weeks after surgery
- Do not go more than 48 hours without a bowel movement and seek medical attention if your pain medication is causing you constipation
- Limit staying in one position as much as possible, such as prolonged periods in front of a computer
As you can probably tell, the unifying theme is that you should do what you can to avoid putting strain on your spine.
Learn more about spinal bone spur surgery recovery
To learn about specific activities and other circumstances you will need to avoid as you begin the recovery process after surgery for spinal bone spurs, contact Laser Spine Institute and speak with our highly knowledgeable staff. We’ll happily answer your questions and help you better prepare for your minimally invasive treatment.
If you have recently been diagnosed with a spinal bone spur and are interested in finding out if you are a potential candidate for a minimally invasive spine surgery at Laser Spine Institute, reach out to our dedicated team today. We offer a free review of your MRI or CT scan that can help you determine if our procedures would be effective for your specific condition.