Spine Centers - Finding the One that’s Right for You
Many spine centers offer a variety of services and amenities that warrant consideration prior to deciding where to undergo a neck or back procedure. In addition to a track record of success, consider other details that may be overlooked.
What to look for
Here are a few things to consider when you’re reviewing spine centers:
- Is the facility credentialed and, if so, by whom? Some facilities create their own credentialing body and then call themselves credentialed.
- How is the facility staffed? Check to make sure the staff is respected and credentialed. If they are credentialed, by whom? In addition to orthopedic surgeons, ask about anesthesiologists, the nursing staff and technicians. Are they credentialed? Is the staffing level equal with the work load they are asked to perform? Understaffing leads to stressed Care Partners and increased risk. Are they trained and certified in emergency procedures? Do they perform safety drills regularly? What quality improvement opportunities are available to the staff, and do they take advantage of them?
- Do the staff physicians accept for treatment every patient presented to them? It would be great if every patient could be cured of all maladies. This is not reality, however. How are treatment decisions made?
- How are the facilities? As outpatient clinics have grown in popularity and specialty, many spine centers have developed a more “spa” or “boutique” feel. While that has little direct correlation with the success of the procedure performed, it can be a clear indicator of the professionalism and overall success of the clinic. Is the facility interested in image or quality?
- What kind of technology is utilized? In addition to ensuring that you have access to the most talented and experienced surgeons, you should learn whether they are using state-of-the-art technology to maximize the potential for a successful procedure.
- Does it have the right vibe? Ultimately, trust your gut feeling. If you are impressed with the medical staff and the facilities, and have confidence in the surgeon performing your procedure, then you are much more likely to have a good experience at the spine treatment and rehabilitation center.
Laser Spine Institute
At Laser Spine Institute, we maintain industry-leading conveniently located regional surgery centers. To learn more about our minimally invasive spine procedures, and to schedule an initial consultation, contact Laser Spine Institute today.