Torn Disc Treatment
A torn disc may not be a painful condition. In fact, many people live with damaged intervertebral discs and never know it. On the other hand, the condition may cause pain, tingling, weakness, cramping, spasms and numbness if the disc compresses the spinal cord or a nerve root. If any of these symptoms arise from a torn disc, treatment may be required to restore a patient’s quality of life.
There are a number of options you can take advantage of to help alleviate torn disc symptoms, but you should always check with your physician before starting any course of treatment.
Conservative, or non-surgical, treatments include:
- Rest – Help remove pressure from your neck and back by lying on the floor – with your knees bent and feet on the floor – several times a day.
- Ice and heat therapy – Applying cold packs to the affected area in 20-minute intervals at the onset of symptoms may help reduce pain and inflammation. Heat in the form of heating pads or a warm bath may help ease muscle tension, but might be best incorporated several days after torn disc symptoms have developed.
- Medications – Over-the-counter and prescription medications, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, steroids and opioids may help deaden the sensation of discomfort.
- Physical Therapy – Therapy may include exercise, massage, and education on proper body mechanics.
- Exercise – Light aerobic exercises such as yoga, walking or swimming may help lengthen and stretch the spine and surrounding muscles, tendons and ligaments. This can help decompress pinched nerves.
- Alternative Treatments – In addition to yoga and Pilates exercises, alternative treatments such as massage therapy and acupuncture may help relieve torn disc symptoms.
Do you have pain from a torn disc? Have you tried several conservative treatments with no relief from your symptoms? It may be time to contact Laser Spine Institute for a review of your MRI or CT scan. Our orthopedic surgeons have performed tens of thousands of minimally invasive procedures, which have proven to be effective in treating neck and back pain.