Spinal disc surgery is necessary for individuals that have not been able to find relief from debilitating back and neck problems through conservative forms of treatment. However, if you are one of the millions of people who suffer from conditions like herniated disc, bulging disc, or degenerative disc disease, you should always try a personalized schedule of non-invasive physiotherapy before making the decision to undergo spinal disc surgery.
Some patients have reported finding relief from holistic treatment approaches, which enables them to avoid back disc surgery. The term “holisitic” refers to the practice of holism, which is a theory that the human body and mind should be treated as one unit, meaning that damage to one of part of the body can be treated by concentrating on the body as a whole, including the mind. Approaches to holistic alternatives to spinal disc surgery include naturopathy, chiropractic care, massage, yoga, meditation, nutritional supplements, acupressure, acupuncture, biofeedback, and other treatment options that lay outside the realm of traditional scientific medicine. Let’s explore some of these alternatives to disc surgeries:
- Acupuncture – the use of needles applied to various energy sources in the body to try and bring balance, both physically and mentally
- Meditation – using breathing to enter a state of deep relaxation; a consciousness apart from the body’s physical manifestations of pain
- Yoga – a practice of breathing and stretching that can increase strength, flexibility, and can help you deliver healing energy to the damaged part of your body
- Acupressure – similar to acupuncture, but pressure is applied to energy points, rather than needles
- Nutritional supplements – vitamins and minerals aimed at relieving pain and increasing the body’s overall health
- Chiropractic work – a focus on neural systems and musculoskeletal systems of the body; a popular choice for disc relief
Although helpful to many, these holistic alternatives to spinal disc surgery will not prove effective for every patient. However, this doesn’t mean that an open spine disc surgery is your only other choice. The experts at Laser Spine Institute (LSI) are ready to talk to you about minimally invasive, endoscopic procedures that have helped tens of thousands of people rediscover a life without pain. Contact us today so that we can review your MRI or CT scan, completely free of charge.