When you’re suffering from spinal narrowing, even seemingly innocuous activities like watching a movie can turn into an uncomfortable experience. However, there are many things you can do to avoid discomfort and help keep this as a fun pastime.
Tips for watching a movie with spinal narrowing include:
- Hot/cold therapy – If you’re watching a movie at home, then consider alternating a heating pad with an ice pack on your back or neck while watching. If you’re at a movie theater, then an unscented hot/cold therapy patch is an alternative.
- Stretch – Before and after the movie, stretch your entire body, including your back and neck. This will keep your muscles loose and help avoid undue stress on your spine while you sit.
- Take breaks – Don’t be afraid to take a short break so you can get up and stretch your legs. If you’re at home, pause the movie for a minute. If you’re in a theater, secure yourself an aisle seat so you can easily get out. Even a short walk from your seat to the door of the theater and back can make a difference, and then you don’t have to miss any of the movie.
- Use the restroom – Visit the restroom before beginning the movie to avoid unplanned breaks. If you’re at a theater, make sure you know where the restrooms are located so you can quickly get to them if needed during the movie.
- Take your medication – If you’re currently taking pain medicine, take it about half an hour before the movie begins to give it time to kick in.
For more information and tips on living with spinal narrowing symptoms, or to learn about treatments for this condition including minimally invasive spinal procedures, contact Laser Spine Institute. We’ll be happy to have our expert spine doctors review your MRI or CT scan free of charge and let you know if you’re eligible for one of our endoscopic procedures.