Patient Services Department
1-866-782-0396 (hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday)
The Patient Services Department's (PSD) mission is to preserve the integrity of Laser Spine Institute through its devotion to patient outcomes, customer service, postoperative recovery and overall communication and support.
These instructions are for endoscopic spine procedures only. Instructions vary for minimally invasive stabilization or RegenaDISC℠.
Weeks One Through Two
You may not drive within the first 48 hours after surgery and while under the influence of pain medications or muscle relaxers.
- The first three days after surgery, attempt to take two to three walks between five and 10 minutes each, wearing your support. For days four through 14, attempt three to four walks daily between 10-20 minutes, as tolerated.
- Do not allow your dressing to get wet. You may shower cautiously following the postoperative appointment. Do not soak in a tub or use a swimming pool for the first two weeks.
- Continue to use the cervical collar or back brace you were given for the first two weeks and thereafter, only as necessary, for support or when doing strenuous activity.
- Schedule an appointment with your Primary Care Provider to have your wound checked two weeks from your surgery date.
- Watch the Daily Activities Videos on the website at www.spine-exercises.com.
- Listen to your body; if an activity or exercise hurts, stop performing it or avoid it totally.
- Abstain from sexual activity.
- Lumbar: Lie on your back with pillows under your knees, and place the ice on your low back area where your surgery was performed. On for 20 minutes and off for two hours, repeating three to four times daily while awake. If unable to lie on your back, lie on your side with a pillow between your knees.
- Cervical: Place directly on covered wound, on for 20 minutes and off for two hours, repeating three to four times daily while awake.
- After day four, the immediate postoperative period, you may use ice as necessary for comfort and after increased activity.
- Limit any activity that applies added weight to the spine, i.e.; lifting, bending, and twisting.
- Avoid staying in one position greater than 10-20 minutes. Change positions frequently.
- No lifting greater than 5 pounds.
- If you develop a persistent cold or cough, please consult your Primary Care Provider for further recommendations. This can aggravate your postoperative pain.
- Drink plenty of water and increase intake of vegetables when using narcotics.